Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Snacks Will Be the Death of Me

Seriously. I can't seem to get myself away from them. Yesterday I did fairly well with the eating well goal (well...minus the veggie part), until last night. At about 9:30, I decided I needed something, so I snagged a pack of fruit snacks. I hate those things . . . and yet I love them so. They're packaged so deceivingly! The manufacturers think they are a good little snack for you, when it reality they pack a good 100 calories per pouch, which adds up when you eat two or three pouches a day. Nothing more than glorified candy. . . . Lame.

Then a few friends came over to my complex bearing large bags of candy for a friend who was badly in need of a pick-me-up. So what did I do? Ate multiple handfuls of sour gummy worms. Because that was a smart decision. And then, because she had too much, my friend gave me a bag of gummy bears and a 41-ounce bag of Skittles. Hooray for making things more difficult on myself!

And then I realize that I have so many snacky foods—cookies, fruit snacks, Skittles, crackers. . . Then again, I do have some things like string cheese and boiled eggs that aren't so bad. But do I eat those? Not really. And do I have vegetables? Of course not. Which is weird . . . it's not like I don't like veggies. Really, I do. Cucumbers, carrots, zucchini . . . they're super yummy. They're just not very convenient. Well, okay, cucumbers and carrots can be, but they can be so bland when eaten plain in large quantities. Any suggestions to make it easier to snack on healthy things? Because I could definitely use them right now.

I ate some gummy bears today at work. The first two ingredients? Corn syrup and sugar. Awesome. Sounds super good for me, no? Yet I ate them anyway. . . . They were Haribo, after all. How do you say no to quality like that? Have you ever tried destroying a gummy bear? It's impossible. You can't smash them, and tearing them apart requires superhuman strength. And yet I'm digesting them. Wonderful.

Today was day two of the gym at 6:30 a.m. Again, getting out of bed about killed me. I'm planning on getting ready for bed right after finishing this post. I have to get more sleep. But hey, at least I dragged myself out of bed. Those lunges from yesterday are still killing me . . . and after working my arms this morning, I know my triceps at least are going to be yelling at me tomorrow. "What are you doing to us?" they'll cry. "We're supposed to just hang here uselessly . . . don't make us work!" Well, too bad, guys, it's time you shaped up.

I weighed myself this morning . . . and I'm still debating on whether I want that number out there for the whole world to see. So it's not going up yet. If at all. But I was thinking about how I don't really have a weight goal. I don't know what my ideal weight will be; plus, when doing resistance training, the measurements are what matter, not the weight. Muscle weighs differently—a pound of muscle may weigh the same as a pound of fat (obviously), but the muscle takes up less space than the fat, so the fat is smaller. Which is probably why people say that muscle weighs more than fat, which isn't really true. It's just more compact.

You think I should aim for looking like this guy?


Yeah, me neither. Scary.

1 comment:

Kristopher said...

This is really brave of you. I'm sorry I've so often been the bearer of bad foods. Be on the lookout for the arrival of something more along the lines of words of affirmation. (It's what came to mind as I read about your pursuit, but I can't explain it any better without giving it away.)

I'd say you're past the fancying stage of authorship. Keep it coming!