Friday, September 4, 2009

Slacker

I'm sorry for the lack of a post yesterday . . . I got wrapped up in other things. I know, it's no excuse, but it's all I've got. Plus, I was a slacker yesterday. And today, for that matter. I thought about posting about something else, like the evils of high fructose corn syrup (which I will write about soon), but then I thought about how I can't very well call this a real, honest story if I don't document my failures as well as my successes.

Yesterday morning, my alarm went off at 6:00 a.m. as usual. After hitting the snooze button twice, I gave up and reset it for an hour later. Which was completely pointless, as I very well know—I wake up just as tired when I reset my alarm as I would have if I had woken up when it first went off. There's just something about the allure of that one extra hour of sleep. I know it won't be quality sleep, and that I probably would have felt better by getting up, but some days I just can't convince myself of that.

I went to work, fully intending to come home and try this 10-minute yoga video that my mom gave me a while ago. And then I came home and ate some cookies . . . then some Skittles . . . then a boiled egg . . . and probably a string cheese to boot. Granted, the string cheese and boiled eggs aren't bad for me, but I didn't need them, and they weren't vegetables. I'm still struggling with that whole eat-more-vegetables goal . . . I know for a fact I don't eat enough. Though I did eat a salad for dinner, with lots of dark, leafy greens. That's good, right?

After that, I got caught up in who knows what, and then a friend came over, which equated to no gym, no yoga video, and no early bedtime. Which then equated to me deciding not to even bother setting my alarm for earlier than I needed to get ready for work. So no gym today either. And no yoga video. And more cookies.

But on the positive side, I ate my last bag of Finding Nemo fruit snacks, and I'm not going to buy any more of them, so that won't be a temptation. And I took my giant bag of Skittles to work, so even though I ate quite a few today, I won't end up eating the whole bag myself. Though I apologize to Jenifer for bringing in bad foods that tempt her.

Another plus side is that I don't go into work until 10:30 tomorrow, which means that I can get up at 8:00 and still have time to go to the gym. That is a wonderful thing. Especially since I spent my day today doing a whole lot of nothing. (I would have blogged earlier, but our internet was down. It magically reappeared unexpectedly at about 11:45 tonight. My roommate let me know by yelling it out to the whole apartment.)

I have been a slacker the past few days, and I can tell by the way my muscles are feeling better because I haven't done anything in 48 hours to whip them into shape. But I've still got tomorrow (well, today) and Saturday to meet my goal of working out three times a week. I could still even nab four times if I'm feeling ambitious. Tomorrow is yet another day, and there's no point in dwelling on lost yesterdays. Wow, that sounded campy, but that doesn't change the truth in it.

1 comment:

Matt Brown said...

It magically reappeared? Is it your internet or a leprechaun?

I'm confused.