Friday, March 5, 2010

This Is a First

In a really long time, anyway. Tonight marked the third night in a row that I have worked out this week. Woo hoo! I haven't done that since . . . it was so long ago that I can't even begin to formulate a guess. But I'm feelin' good right now!

First of all, I have to say that inhalers are AWESOME! Seriously. Well . . . if you have asthma, they're awesome. There was this one time in high school when my aerobics teacher made us run for a minute and walk for a minute for 10 minutes, and I almost died. Seriously. I couldn't breathe, my face was bright red, and anytime I took a breath, I would start hacking up a lung. Thankfully, those days are now in the past. Wednesday was the first day that I tried the Couch-to-5k program, which starts with jogging  for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds for at least 20 minutes. I was successful on my first workout. Sure, I was tired, and by the end I was struggling a bit just to get through that one minute of jogging, but I wasn't short of breath, my face wasn't bright red, and there was no coughing. Thank you, inhaler!

Last night I did some at-home leg workouts. I wasn't sure if they were really effective, but then I did day 2 of the running program, and by the time I got off the treadmill, I could feel my muscles yelling at me. I think my at-home workout did all right.

I decided to walk for a while on the treadmill today, after my 30 minutes of jogging/walking (which I made it through just fine—again). I was on the treadmill for about an hour, and it felt good just to walk. I used to walk to and from campus, but since I graduated, walking hasn't exactly been in abundance. I wish work was close enough that I could walk, but alas, it isn't.

Apparently Friday night isn't a big night for the gym. Gold's Gym is usually packed. I have never seen the parking lot even a third empty—and it's a HUGE parking lot. But when I got there at about 8:00 tonight, it was two-thirds empty. Wow. Apparently I'm really lame for going to the gym on a Friday night. But I wasn't doing anything else, so I figured I might as well do something productive.

I hate watching other people work out. There were a couple of people on treadmills around me who would just get on and start running at full speed for 20 minutes. Man, I wish I could do that. I've realized that it's incredibly easy for me to get discouraged, but I have to remind myself that I have never been a runner, so I'm going to have to work up to it (hence the program). I'm only on day 2. It's going to take me a little while to build up to that 5k.

No comments: